Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Daily 5 Book Study Ch. 2 Ah-Ha!


I have joined "The Daily 5" book study over at the primary graffiti blog. This is a fabulous book by "the sisters" Gaile Boushey and Joan Moser. If you haven't read this book and incorporated it into your classroom it is a must (for all grade levels)! I have just completed my my 3rd year using my K/1 adapted version of the Daily 5. The results I have seen from this are amazing! This past year, half of my 1st grade class looped up with me from K and the other half did not. My kids who had done the Daily 5 in K were so far ahead in their reading levels and fluency compared to the kids who did not have the advantage of the Daily 5 in K. I feel the key is the amount of time spent each day reading at their level and challenging themselves is the key.

Prior to reading the Daily 5 the first time, I had been big on Debbie Diller's Literacy Work Stations. I found this to work pretty well, but the students weren't working in their centers frequently enough. I also felt like I was spending more time setting up and planning centers/stations than the students were in them. I students rotated through stations with same small group at every station. They tended to get tired of working with the same students and conflicts were frequent in some groups. I was doing 2 or 3 20 minute rotations a day and was working with students 2 times a week and thought I was doing pretty well.

After reading the Daily 5 I changed things up! Initially I did the Daily 5 three days a week. Now I was seeing every child in small group 3 times a week. I was in K at the time and had more of a "directed choice" system in place. After my first year with the Daily 5, I reworked it a little for year two.

During year two of the Daily 5, I was doing it 4 times a week. I also had a K class with a huge variation in levels. I couldn't really teach whole group, and changed to teaching most things small group. The Daily 5 was great for this! At the end of year two I re-evaluated how it was working for me again.

At the end of year two, I found many things I liked and somethings I thought were missing. At our school we are lucky enough to be rich with technology, I wanted to include this more during the day. I loved being able to meet and work with all students, not just the low students. I have 18 students and found I really liked how well groups of 3 worked together; so I divided 18 by 3 and found 6 was the magic number. I really felt Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics were being overlooked with such a huge reading push. I love the Math Daily 5 idea, but just don't have the time in my day. So I have combined the elements of Debbie Diller's system I liked, with the Daily 5 and added a S.T.E.M. to create my own "Super 6"!

I have had many teacher's in my school and county ask for more information on how I do this. I am currently putting it all together and hope to share it with everyone before next week.


As I am watching the Olympic Swimming Trials (I can't wait for the Olympics) and re-reading Chapter 2 I had an ah-ha moment! When explaining stamina this year, I am going to use the Olympics to help explain it. The Olympic athletes set a goal and practice everyday to achieve that goal. A swimmer trains by swimming different ways, weight lifting, and thinking about what he is doing. He already knows how to doggie paddle and blow bubbles, so he doesn't doggie paddle and blow bubbles much anymore. He does not play soccer or snow ski to become a better swimmer. So our goal is to become a better reader. We will train by reading more, writing and thinking. Continuing to re-read a book we have already mastered over and over or a too easy book will not help us get better. We must continue to challenge ourselves!

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea of the "Super 6". Very interested in seeing what you post next. With my second grade team, we decided to incorporate Science and S.Studies into our Reading Block so we are spending two weeks on a story instead of just one. At the end of the year we sat down and decided which stories in our basal would work with our Science and S.Studies standards. I am really excited about trying it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the connection to the Olympics! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Debbie Diller! I read all her books, did the book study, purchased her literacy and math kid from Really Good Stuff but now I'm thinking about how I can merge the two programs to provide choice with tubs.

    Thanks for linking up!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...