Monday, January 19, 2015

Making it Rain and FETC 2015!

Thanks for a day off from school, I finally have a chance to blog and catch up on work a little.  It is pretty sad that I am excited for a day off because it gives me time to work.  There has been so many great things happening in the class, I have so many blog post ideas.  However, I just can't find the time to write them.

Last week was a 3 day week for the students.  (We had a workday and PD day Thursday and Friday.)  Because of this, we didn't have our normal reading curriculum to follow or test to give.  So instead, we did Science all week.  The kids LOVED it!!!

Make it Rain!

We were studying about water.  One of the investigations we did was the standard shaving cream cloud on top of the water in the jar.  Then I dropped blue food coloring on the "cloud" to show when it is full of water droplets it begins to rain.  My little scientist were all recording their observations.  I loved that one student observed that "clouds smell really good!  They smell handsome."  (Of course, I had to explain real clouds don't smell this way.)  After the discussion, students wrote about the final results and what they learned.


Just as the first of our blue drops began to fall from our "cloud",  the sky outside also opened up and it began to pour!  My students were amazed that "Mrs. Phillips' really can make it rain!"  My timing could not have been better.  

This is why I love teaching K/1!  My students think I can make it rain and that clouds smell handsome!

I am so excited that the week of FETC (Florida Educational Technology Conference) is here!  This is my first year going.  Is anyone else going???  I have 2 poster presentations and would love for you to stop by and say hello.  

Thursday, January 22nd from 2:30-3:30p.m. I will be presenting "Maximum Exposure with Minimal Devices."  I will be on aisle 600 in the Exhibit Hall Poster Area 1.  

Friday, January 23rd from 11:00-noon I will be presenting "And the Emma Goes to... Educational Multi-Medi Awards Night."  I will be on aisle 1500 of Exhibit Hall Poster Area 2.

I would love to personally meet my blogging buddies.  Let's meet up at #FETC 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...