Friday, April 4, 2014

Five for Friday

Happy Friday!! I'm linking up for Five for Friday at Doodle Bugs Teaching.


My eggs arrived!  I hatch eggs every year; it is one of my favorite units and an experience the students remember forever.  A friend brings the eggs to me and "just found them out walking and has no clue what they might be."  Then the fun begins.  We start brainstorming what might hatch from our eggs.  Some of the kids guesses this year include: alligator, sea turtle, eagle, flamingo, turkey, chicken, snake, ostrich or maybe a buzzard!  Who knows what will hatch from our eggs?  (Of course I do, they will be sweet little ducks!  Hopefully, the temperature was a little off at the beginning...  I will know more in a few days.) 


Did you know that the eggs also need it to be quiet for them to hatch??  (Well not really, but my kids sure think so!)  Now all I have to say is "eggs" and everyone immediately quiet down.  So perfect at the end of the year.


This was our first week back after Spring Break.  Of course, this weeks weather was gorgeous and our break was cold and dreary.  On the bright side, we only had a 4 day work week!  We also started our last 9-weeks of the school year.  



I had a week of recognition for my hard work.  It started off with my Brick Builders Club being recognized at the county school board meeting.  Then our superintendent brought a state representative and Frank Biden (Vice President Joe Biden's brother) on a tour of my classroom to see how my little guys were integrating technology.  Then I had the opportunity to talk with them about my thoughts and feelings as a teacher.  It felt so nice to be recognized.  It is amazing how much a few kind words is worth. 


My oldest daughter competed in her first cheer competition with her new team and they rocked it!  I also just found out that my youngest daughter's state gymnastics meet and oldest daughter's last cheer competition are not on the same day!! (There was a chance they would be on the same day in different cities.)  So glad I won't have to cut myself in 1/2 now!

Finally, I had a great lesson today with data collection and graphing.  The students collected data and then I showed them how to enter it into excel to create beautiful graphs.  I really didn't think they could do it, but figured I would try it.  The students worked in teams of two and amazed me with the outcomes.  Look for more information on this lesson to come!


3 comments:

  1. What an amazing week! Congrats on your recognitions! =)

    Tanya
    A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did have an amazing week and I love how you introduce your eggs to the classroom! I haven't hatched eggs in a while so I'm thinking I need to get it together and do some hatching before this semester passes me by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I just love that you tell your students that the eggs need it to be quiet in order to hatch! You are genius!

    Lauren
    A Teachable Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...