Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ah Ha Moment!

I was teaching math today and had an Ah Ha (why didn't I think of this sooner) moment.  I'm sure many of you already do this, but maybe there is someone out there like me. 

My problem:  How to give extra instruction to those kids who need it without boring the other kids to death?  I needed a way to determine who isn't "getting it" before the quiz or test.

My solution:  After teaching the main math lesson with the kids on the floor, I did review or practice problems on the smartboard.  If the student answered the problem correctly, I had them pick up their independent practice worksheet and return to their desk to begin work.  If the student couldn't answer the problem, I had them stay on the floor with me and wait for another turn.  (Little did they know they were listening and learning while they waited.)  At the end, I had a hand-full of students who still weren't getting it with me on the floor.  I was able to try another approach with this group while the others were working on their own at their seats.

I don't know why I haven't been doing this sooner.  This quick, informal assessment really helped drive my instruction and I got immediate results.  I didn't have to grade it, enter it in a grade book or graph it! 

I love to do "ticket out the door" quick checks.  I keep various stacks flash cards by the door or ask a question about a lesson I have just taught.  This information I get is great, but we are on the way out the door so I don't have time to continue the lesson with those who need it.

Have you had any Ah Ha teaching moments lately?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I found your website by means of Google even as searching for a related
    subject, your website got here up, it appears to be
    like good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply become aware of your weblog thru Google,
    and located that it is truly informative. I'm gonna be careful for brussels. I'll appreciate
    in case you proceed this in future. Many other folks might be benefited from your writing.

    Cheers!
    My web-site ; delphia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...