Tuesday, January 15, 2013

STEM Center Activity Freebie

Most students love S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) activities.  They don't even realize they are learning as they explore and problem solve.  I am not sure how it is at your school, but I always feel we focus so much on reading that S.T.E.M. gets put on the back burner.  Then everyone wonders why Math and Science scores are so low.

I am also a big proponent of including S.T.E.M. (especially in K/1) because usually students who struggle with reading do well with S.T.E.M. projects.  I like them to feel successful and boost their confidence. 

This is why I added S.T.E.M. as part of my Daily 5 Centers, making it the Super 6.  Some days my kids do all 6 centers and other days we do 3 centers and 3 the next day.  It seems to work well for me.  You can read more about the Super 6 in previous posts.

This is a fun Science activity the kids love.  Click here to grab it!

Tip:  When I have kids make a prediction, I always have them use a marker to make them with first.  This way they can't erase and change them if their findings are not the same.

Today I was lucky enough to chaperone my daughter and her class on a field trip to the Kennedy Space Center.  They loved it and had a great time.  It was her first field trip in years (her wonderful teachers worked hard for a grant) and my youngest daughter has never gone on a field trip.  Our county cut all field trips as a part of budget cuts.  My poor firsties would just love to ride on a bus anywhere.  I will have to look for grants next year.  Do you get to do field trips?  Where do you take your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...