Monday, March 25, 2013

Sorting 3D Shapes

We had so much fun last week learning and exploring 3D shapes.  I think this is probably my favorite math topic.  We started the topic learning the names and attributes of the shapes.  My kids love playing "Can You Read My Mind?" I thought of a shape and described it to them and they were amazed that they could read my mind!  Then the students paired up and played "Can You Read My Mind?" together.

This is a fun hands-on topic too!  The students love learning to draw 3D shapes.  We use play dough and toothpicks to build the shapes.  Students also enjoy building with various 3D shapes (a.k.a. blocks) to create things.

 I have a labeling and sorting 3D shapes printable for you that I use to assess their understanding of this topic.  Click here to grab it!

This freebie was featured on Manic Monday!  Don't forget to see what else is going on this Monday.
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

6 comments:

  1. I love the multisensory methods for teaching about 3-D shapes. My kiddos with autism would love that! Thanks!
    Chris
    Autism Classroom News

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like just what I need for after spring break. Thanks for sharing!

    Terri
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, thanks for sharing! We're going to tuck this away for next year. It goes great with the shapes packet we created!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of "Can you read my mind?" I am sure my firsties would have so much fun! :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use Can you read my mind cards? Or did you just have them make them up as they went?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made them up. I am putting together cards for it and a game though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...